Unit 8 work placement, CV and portfolio

I wasn’t really excited about looking for work placement during covid but I still managed to put my work together during the Easter break.

My show reel
Anna’s feedback :))))))

And a list of practitioner/company that I sent my work to:

Ged Clarke: Production designer, mainly does commercials. He was the production designer for The Fall (2006) by Tarsem Singh which is one of my favourite films.

He kindly replied and offered to meet me!
But I couldn’t meet him because of covid regulation…

The Mill: Production company for digital video contents and virtual experiences. I found them on Instagram and really liked their works, they represent mainly directors and people who work in post-production, but I’m really into music video/ fashion video production, so I emailed their design department. Which they didn’t reply.

Object & Animal: Similar to The Mill, a production company for commercials and music video, which produced some of my favourite music videos. And I got no reply either…

Andrew Tomas Huang: a Chinese- American director/ creative director who directed FKA Twigs’s Cellophane music video, and some short films I really like. And his works are really dedicated to Chinese culture but managed to make it really cool and not cliché, which is something I want to achieve someday. But there’s no reply…

Tianheyan 天何言 concept art studio: this Chinese company that did the production design for the upcoming Love, Death and Robots season2. They mainly do concept art, but I found their works really cool, so I sent them an email with my portfolio as well. No reply.

(I guess I should have researched on individual production designers instead of production companies to have a better shot. I’ve got some more recommendation from people around and I’ll keep trying after finishing unit 8)

I did help out a bit with the LCC film practice project TANK. I didn’t follow it through because they postponed the shooting, and I was too busy with my own project work.

And someone I met from my foundation at LCC is preparing for a fashion film, so she contacted me about production design. I sent her my portfolio which she really liked, and we met up to discuss the project. It’s a 3-minute short film about a fashion photography’s sketchbook coming into life, which is really ambitious and challenging. But we really got along well, and I thought it would be really exciting to do the production design since I really like fashion film and music video, so I agreed to that. The actual shooting will be after September which I don’t know I can attend, but I have informed her about that, and she is still happy to have me even just for pre-production.